Thursday, July 19, 2012

The 'C' word

Yes, it's well overdue that we talk about the 'C' word - COMMUNICATION!


Quite a long word really, so it's possible not everyone can comprehend (another classic 'C' word) exactly what it means.


Just to help out, the Oxford Dictionary online meaning of communication is as follows "the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing, or some other medium"


Doesn't sound that hard now does it?


Oh and for those interested in what's happening on our build, the update is not quite that straight forward. With next to no communication with our SS (one phone call that was returning my call) it's hard to say. We did drop by ourselves last weekend and as the house was not locked (again), we did inspect and it appeared to be exactly the same as it was 3 weeks ago. QA scheduled nearly two weeks ago was even cancelled. Why? I hear you ask...
We are just the owners and more importantly the CLIENTS (another important 'C' word) so why would that be communicated to us. One exception to none existing work is the 'new' floor boards were installed a few weeks back but are yet to be finished off.


Hopefully I can communicate more to you next time.


Cam

9 comments:

  1. Sounds all too frustratingly familiar Cam, I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing the same stalling we did. Our journey isn't over yet either. The electrician still hasn't returned to fit our front pillar lights yet. I hope you get a status update soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, I cant believe what I read about the flooding at your place...hope it is all fixed up. We have had some small progress the past few day... things are looking up.

      Delete
  2. Oh what the hell?? I wonder what is going on?? Have you already tried getting hold of the construction manager? I can't remember if I have already asked, when does your contract finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, we have spoken with the CM and things are moving along now thank goodness. We still have 70 days on our contract to go so no worries for M there.

      Delete
  3. Seriously, how hard is it? This does smack of Nat and Paul's experience, doesn't it.

    I hope someone gets their communication training up to date and gives you a call today.

    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, I have been telling our friends that I think that I could study at uni, work part time, look after 2 kids and run the household and still organise and supervise the house build better!

      Delete
  4. Guys
    I feel your frustration and empathize with you. A bad or incompetent SS can have major consequences on your build project. Am so sorry you didn't get someone more reliable and COMMUNICATIVE. I had and still had issues with M regarding their communication so I know exactly what you are going through. Lucky for me though my SS was very good and never really had that many causes for concern once the actual building works commenced.
    Good luck and just a word of advice. Never let them get the better of you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Just wanted to let you know that your blog is really helpful to us at the moment. We just signed on with Metricon and seeing the process through your blog and others has made me see how vigilant we need to be. So far all ok but haven't met our SS people as yet so fingers crossed! Not sure if you have one but we are getting an independant builder to inspect the house at each stage of the building process. We are hoping that they can see everything we won't! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deene,

      Glad we can be of help. I've just linked your blog onto our blog list, you haven't got the option for people to follow it yet so at least people will be able to read it by following from our page.

      We have had an independent inspector twice so far and it has been well worth it. We are planning to have them assist us in our last inspection. It holds so much weight with the site supervisor too.

      Good luck with your build and I'm praying to the site supervisor gods so that hopefully you guys get a good one. LOL

      Kirst

      Delete

We love to hear your thoughts or answer your questions...